Pinakurat

I've recently read an article from the Inquirer about Pinakurat. You can find the article here.

When faced with the dilemma of pasalubong, I realized there aren't many food specialties here in Iligan. Food quality here is what I would rate as "average". I first saw Pinakurat in the grocery but I didn't bother buying one. I didn't find anything special with spiced cane vinegar. The only time I got to taste one was when our landlady bought a bottle to go with the fried fish we were having for lunch once.

What I tasted was not your ordinary vinegar with spices. The spices really blended well and enhanced the vinegar. It was just like what it's name implies. Pinakurat - with surprise. The taste was unexpected and catches first-time tasters off guard. It was good and complemented well, enhanced the ordinary fried fish.

When I went home that semestral break, I brought home a Pinakurat. It was just a small bottle that costs P25. When I got to Manila, I found a similar bottle in Robinson's Supermarket. It costs P65.

In our family, only my dad and I enjoy spiced foods. Siling labuyo and Tabasco is only a staple at home when my dad is there. Naturally, I was the only one who enjoyed having my daing na bangus dipped in Pinakurat. I've been wanting to send my dad a bottle but I forgot to bring a bottle home last Christmas. Besides, as expected, my uncle's baggage was wayyyyy over their limit.

ss_blog_claim=f38363071441aed0de9aa55ded4fa3f9